Wednesday 4 March 2009

No progress for a week

I've been busy at work since the last time I tested the motor controllers. I did not really progress much. I just had time to think a lot and make a shopping list for parts.

My first task is to build a casing for the electronic that will control the motors and provide power to the computer. I have all the modules ready, I just need to buy a switch that can cope with 30A and a relay that can also cope with 30A. The switch will be right after the batteries, the relay will control the power to the motors. Like that, I can build a kind of emergency stop without shutting down the on board PC.

Once this is done, I will fix a plywood board on the top in order to fix the PC and the webcam. Later, I am planning to add distance sensor and a bumper.
For the PC, I have a old DELL laptop with a WiFi card and a Mini ITX PC. Both of them can run using 24V dc using a simple DC-DC converter. I still don't know which one to use. Any PC would do as all the sensors and motors are controlled via USB (PC <-> USB <-> I2C <-> sensors/motors)

Anyway, I should get more things done by the end of the coming WE and will post new pics

No comments:

Post a Comment